Saturday, July 5, 2014

London on Foot

I'm finally adjusting from California time.  It's been a tiresome few days since arriving in London on the 3rd of July – my body had no idea why it wasn't asleep, but my mind demanded that I see everything still!  I thought I'd arrive a few days before the start of our program to explore and get situated.  As our program accommodations do not begin until July 6th,  I started my adventure by checking in at St. Christopher's Hostel at the London Bridge for about £30 a night ($50).  For those that have not yet stayed in European hostels, they are generally clean and safe.  Furthermore, hostel stays are an awesome way to meet young people from all ends of the earth.  The location of this particular hostel was excellent, situated directly across the street from one of London's most famous outdoor markets: Borough Market.  The historic Borough Market has been in operation for nearly one thousand years.  I bought a bunch of really great fruit, fresh bread, prosciutto, and some macaroons.  Oh!  I also ate Vietnamese chicken curry there one the first day which was epic, seriously.  
St. Christopher's Hostel was also within walking distance to the London Tower, the Tower Bridge, the Globe Theatre, and St. Paul's Cathedral.  As an avid runner, I have had the pleasure of running along the River Thames each morning (passing by these iconic London sites).  It makes me forget that it's hard work. 


Tower Bridge

Shakespeare's Globe



A note on transportation:
Travel Study students need to buy an Oyster card for mass transit.  A single ride will cost £3-£4 ($5-$6), whereas a day of unlimited travel is £7.  Oyster card enables unlimited travel on the London Underground in specified zones (extra can be paid to include buses).  I have found, however, that the Underground alone is mostly sufficient.  As mentioned, Oyster cards are available as one day passes, but also weekly and monthly passes.  Given the duration of my trip, I chose the weekly pass, which I will renew a couple times.  The cost is roughly £32 for one week of unlimited travel in Zones 1 & 2.  You'll find that Zones 1 & 2 encompass all of central London and far beyond.  Venturing outside of these zones is likely a rare occurrence, with the exception of traveling to and from London Heathrow, which is located far outside the city in Zone 6.  All that said, you need to purchase an Oyster Card for unlimited travel in Zones 1 & 2, and a one way fare to get from Heathrow to central London.  Make sense?  If not, the London Underground operates an information desk at Heathrow.  If you tell them exactly what you want and where you need to go, they will walk you through the process.  It takes a very short time to be a mass transit pro in London as the system is so well thought out.  It's very similar to New York City's mass transit system: easy.  And be sure to pick up a free London Underground Map.


No comments:

Post a Comment